1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one’s thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss. Depends on the day. Today I had a trip to St. Louis and back (2 hours each way)to visit a parishioner having surgery. So it was a lot of time on the road by myself. Today it was a welcomed trip to be quiet with my thoughts and to process some things. Life seems to be running at a fast pace and time to just think has been limited.
2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket? Usually five over the speed limit. I’ve only earned one speeding ticket in my life and that was in a church van. Sad, right? It was before I was officially on staff and somehow I still managed to get called.
3. Do you take public transportation? When? What’s your opinion of the experience? Hardly ever. Only on some trips within the community but even that is rare. I have a feeling I’m missing out on some interesting life moments.
4. Complete this sentence: _____________ has the worst drivers I’ve ever experienced. The roads around me have the worst drivers I’ve ever experienced. Surely it has nothing to do with me usually being there to make such an observation.
5. According to the Census Bureau, reverendmother’s fair city has the 6th longest average commute in the United States at 29 minutes each way. How does your personal commute rate? It takes a horrible 10-12 minutes from my house to the church. The traffic continually moves and I’m to work within 10 minutes. Traffic is obviously horrific (cough, cough) here in the metropolis of Jefferson City.
Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving? Yes – of course. I made a trip out of town today and on my way back I not only talked on my cell phone but I also text-messaged some youth on their way to a football game. Now that is stupid and highly irresponsible.