I’m one of those weirdos who listens to sermons on days other than Sundays. And I mean, sermons. Not long-winded comments from people in my life who care or a hard-nosed politician on the campaign trail. I listen to real proclamations from folks around the United States. My ipod is loaded with podcasts from select churches and when I walk, I listen to them both as a spiritual feeding as well as way of growing as a preacher.
So, here, in no particular order, are the preachers in my life:
- Dr. Doyle Sager – the pastor of the church where I serve. I hear him in living color each week.
- Rob Bell – Founding pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Erwin McManus – Lead Pastor at Mosaic in Los Angeles
- Darrin Patrick – Founding and lead pastor at the Journey in St. Louis, Missouri
- Rick McKinley – Pastor at Imago Dei Community in Portland, Oregon
Now, these guys don’t preach every Sunday so I often get the pleasure of hearing from other teaching pastors at those churches. And the variety is great. Listening to sermons from all over the US helps me not stay stuck in my world here in Jefferson City. So I exercise my legs and my spirit and my mind every chance I get.
You can find podcasts for each of these guys (except for Doyle Sager) on itunes. I’m working on a podcast for our church so stay tuned.